Saturday, March 20, 2010

1950s DESIGN STILL SO NOW

I'm the type of girl that still goes the long way round rather than break a no u-turn sign even if its 3am in the morning. I'd stop at a red light even when there are no more cars around. I'm a square like dut. So. it comes as a surprise that I busted out my camera in the museum even when the signs clearly said no. Does that mean I'm living on the edge? Haha. Why? Number one, because I'm sure half of you would rather surf the net than go to an actual museum (hence me posting this here) and because the SLIMs exhibit moved me so much that it left me teary eyed. And I'm not ashamed of it. Beautiful things still remain beautiful even through time. And her designs, I've got to say, transcends trends, time and eras. If you love fashion as much as I do, I really recommend that you go. You won't regret it.

Would you believe this was done in the 50's?

Or this structural trapeze of a Terno?

Or this one? this can even work in the runways now.


So for a history lesson, Slim's contemporaries that time included Spanish designer Cristobal Balenciaga. Most of you would automatically think of the ubiquitous motorcycle bags, but the House of Balenciaga was built on amazing designs.
Dinner dress, 1959.


I love this dress! It looks like Givenchy now. Day dress, 1960.

One day when I grow up, i'm going to own a vintage Balenciaga. Hmpp.
Evening coat, 1950.


All Balenciaga photos from HERE.

1 comment:

Styles I Love said...

Nice. The 50s and 60s were two of my favorite style decades. Hope they also had stuff for the guys. :)